Saturday, April 2, 2011

Venezky Poster Post

Beginning this project I started by studying Martin Venezky's designs and his interviews. After having this kit of ideas I formed a list of points I wanted to explore. These are hands-in design, random yet structured design, a tactile experience, and experimentation as methodology.  I started with 5 collages.

First Round Images:







Second Round:
With this round I started by adding hand placed type on the collages. Using the type I wanted to balance out the blocks of images.

Second Round Images:







Third Round:
In the third round I started exploring the lines created by the cut-outs. Venezky's book It's Beautiful... Then Gone was the source of inspiration. Many of the examples he gives in his book has multiple views during process of creation. In the rawest of collage images I noticed the lines created by the cut paper.  I found these lines to be not only highly visually tactile but also adding great depth to the pieces. I wanted to use this element to be a visual allusion to Venezky and his process. 

Third Round Images:






Fourth Round: By this point in the design process I began editing the elements that I discovered during my experimentation stage. I also worked with the alignment of my text blocks.

Fourth Round Images:







Final Iteration Image:

No comments:

Post a Comment