Monday, January 30, 2012

What I learned from the what I learned article


"In 2011, I fell in love with complexity in mobile interfaces. A small screen doesn’t signal a desire to do less. Removing mobile features because “it’s just a phone” is like an author removing chapters because “it’s just a paperback.” It confuses context with intent. Mobile apps and websites have to be more than lite version of their desktop counterparts; they should have the conceptually same content and features as other platforms. Our job isn’t to remove complexity but to make complex information accessible—a challenge for the small screen, but an important one."
From this part it becomes apparent that simplifying a design for mobile is merely a cop out for not wanting to spend the time on a complete design. 

"The most important thing I’ve (re)learned this year is that the greatest experiences in life aren’t designed at all. I’ve spent less time on blogs and Twitter and more time watching sunrises in beautiful places. I’ve obsessed less over gadgets and tools and more over finding the right wine to go with a great meal. I’ve remembered that I love my work more when it isn’t also my life. All of these things make me more patient, more optimistic, and more inspired…which can only make me better at what I do."
This part of the article hit home with me as I believe it is our experience with the world that allows us as designers to connect with our viewers and audience. How can you design for somebody if you have never lived?

No comments:

Post a Comment