Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Wk 9: Howlin' Wolf, Back Cover, and Collection Logo

This week I went back to the first cover, Howlin' Wolf's self-titled album, that I had tried the transparency process on. I applied my technique/process of blind serendipitous overlaying that I developed in weeks 6 & 7. I also concretely defined some rule sets I had been playing with for these albums. The protagonist character must always appear in blue in the same location on each cover. Elements that are shared between songs must use the same image and color for each cover. For example, the words heart, rain, and sun are used in multiple songs. 

I also started to work on the back covers of the albums. I used this space to clarify the album titled since it had been brought up that the text was difficult to read on the front cover on some of the artifacts. I'm also using the back to give information on the artist and their historical significance. To bring this collection together and make them appear like a legitimate set of artifacts put out by a real entity I created I logo to apply to the back. The acronym BRR stand for "Blues Record Revival." BRR also references the feeling of the blues as a cold feeling, which is described as "a low-down shakin' chill" by Robert Johnson in Preaching Blues. 

To add further realism I created a method of creating serial numbers for the albums. The serial for Howlin' Wolf's album is V# HWC2.10325. The equation for this is V# + artist initials + C (for cover) + version.iteration + date as mm/dd.




3/5 albums done 

don't look at the quotation marks.
they have been fixed. :)

digital and with printed dot matrix




1 comment:

  1. hey, jumper.

    all is looking good. on monday, i'd like to take a close look at your small typography to give it a once over. ex: on the covers, the black small text seems a little overbearing, but i want to check in person.

    mml

    ReplyDelete